Cruse Bereavement Care was founded in 1959 and is a national charity providing free advice, information and support to adults, young people and children who are struggling to cope with grief arising from bereavement, whenever or however the death occurred.
Devon Area Cruse - Support
Due to government guidelines around coronavirus Cruse Devon will continue to offer telephone, Zoom or online support for the foreseeable future. There will be no face-to-face support or groups of any kind. We will be able to take new referrals via email or post, or by phoning the Devon Helpline. Please note - we only accept self-referrals. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for support. Our Devon helpline and referral line will be open, but this service is currently limited to the following opening times and staffed by one volunteer each day:
Devon Helpline/Referral line - Monday 2pm to 5pm, Tuesday 1pm to 4pm, Wednesday 10.30am to 2.30pm and Thursdays 10am to 2pm.
For one off support and information, please call the National Helpline - freephone 0808 808 1677 - Monday and Friday 9.30am to 5pm, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 9.30am to 8pm and Saturday and Sunday 10am to 2pm.
We have been operating in the area for over 40 years and we cover the whole of Devon including Plymouth and Torbay. If you do not live in this county, please search for your local Cruse Area Office.
Devon Area Cruse services normally include:
- Face-to-face support sessions, either in your own home or at one of our counselling rooms in Exeter, Barnstaple, South Devon or Plymouth (days and times vary).
- Telephone support sessions
- Online support
- Information about the many aspects of bereavement as well as practical help and advice and signposting to a wide range of other support options.
- Special support for children and young people, either at home, school or a designated meeting room.
- Friendship Groups – we have two Friendship groups, one in Exeter and one in Bideford. (currently closed due to Covid19)
Devon Area Cruse is supported by over 70 trained volunteers each giving their time to support people bereaved by death.
Our goal is to provide somewhere to turn when somebody dies. Please contact us if we can help in any way.
Volunteering with Cruse Devon - Bereavement Support Volunteers
Bereavement Support Volunteers - we are currently recruiting new Telephone Support Volunteers. Please see our Devon Area Training page (click on link above) for more information.
We are always looking for Fundraising Volunteers. If you would like to organise a fundraising event, or help at an event others' have organised, please do email us email@example.com.