Cruse Bereavement Care was founded in 1959. We are a national charity providing free advice, information and support to adults, young people and children who are struggling to cope with grief arising from bereavement whenever or however the death occurred. We have been operating in the Thames Valley for over 25 years and cover the following areas:
- Wokingham, Bracknell, East & Central Reading, Windsor, Maidenhead and Slough and surrounding areas within the East Berkshire boundaries.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) from March 2020 ongoing
Thames Valley Cruse Bereavement Care is committed to providing ongoing support for our clients during these difficult and challenging times. We are making adjustments to the way we work to protect our clients and our volunteers from the COVID-19 virus (coronavirus).
We have now discontinued face-to-face support and support groups, however we are offering telephone support. Please contact us if you would like to know more about this.
We hope that as the situation improves, we will again be able to offer face-to-face support and will update this website as things change.
Our local helpline is 01344 411919 (Standard rates apply). At the moment there is an answerphone all of the time. We very much regret this but your message will be picked up during weekdays and we will ring you back as soon as we can. Please leave a clear message with your name and a phone number.
If you are a Cruse client wanting to cancel or re-arrange a meeting with us via email please use firstname.lastname@example.org. For cancellation on the day of your appointment with your Bereavement Volunteer ring 07522 345563 and leave a message but please be aware that your Bereavement Volunteer might not receive the message immediately as these messages are only picked up at certain times of the day.
The Cruse National Helpline offers a listening ear and emotional support to anyone who has lost someone they love, or been affected by a bereavement. All calls are answered by trained Cruse volunteers.
The phone number is : 0808 808 1677.
Normally the Cruse Bereavement Care National Helpline is open for information, advice and emotional support 9.30am-5.00pm Monday and Friday and 9.30am-8.00pm Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. Weekends 10am - 2pm
If you require support outside of these times, you may wish you call the Samaritans on 116 123.
Our services would normally include:
- Welcome sessions - all those who ring wanting support are invited to a Welcome session, usually held in the Bracknell Office, these are run about every 4-6 weeks. The information given at these sessions will help you to decide which kind of support will help you most, see below. If you are unable to attend, the volunteer you speak to on the phone will be able to give you more information.
- Face-to-face support sessions either in our Office building, your own home or a suitable convenient venue
- Group sessions Many bereaved people derive great comfort from meeting others in a similar situation to themselves
- Telephone support and advice
- Information about the many aspects of bereavement as well as practical help and advice and signposting to a wide range of other support options
- Special support for children and young people
- Training for businesses, charities and faith groups in bereavement awareness
Thames Valley Berkshire is supported by about 35 trained volunteers who give their time to support people bereaved by death.
To help us to keep supporting bereaved people locally please give generously to https://www.cruse.org.uk/donate and name Thames Valley Berkshire